Thursday, March 22, 2012

3/21/2012 Kitty Fix & More

There are so many pets who need to be adopted at the Kauai Humane Society (KHS).  I volunteer there weekly to get my 'kitty fix' since I'm missing my two cats, Smitty and Indy, but it's hard.....  I feel so badly for all the sweet animals and would love to rescue each of them.   My lease says "No Pets", so I can't even save one little guy or gal. 

KHS is in need of kitty cuddlers and dog walkers and I've volunteered to spend time with the cats.  There are lots of cute kittens, too, but I suspect the kittens already get lots of attention. The full grown cats probably need move lovin' at this point. 

These cats are not feral cats. They are sweet and loving. It makes me cry sometimes, but I try to take comfort in knowing that any time I spend with them is better than no time at all.  They all seem so grateful for the small amount of attention I'm able to provide.

We are able to take the cats out of their 'cat condos' and bring them into private little visiting rooms where they can at least see and smell the outdoors.   

Please take us home. We promise to be 'good'!
As part of my volunteer duties, I've been recruited to take photographs of the adoptees and post them on data sheets listed on their website @ www.kauaihumane.org. Today, I took photos of twenty-two cats and dogs and just finished loading them on the website. I hope that my efforts help in getting some of these little guys adopted soon.  

I'm happy to report that I have no pictures to show you of Abigail.  She's the one-eyed black cat I fell in love with several weeks ago.  She was a sweetheart of a lap cat, and I was pleased to learn that she was adopted so quickly that I didn't have a chance to take photos of her. 

Let's hope these little guys find loving homes soon, too.

Ray

Tonka

Truly, though, KHS is a wonderful place.  The animals appear to be loved by all the staff and volunteers. From what I can tell, the cats and dogs are taken care of very well. The facility is clean and the vibe is 'friendly'.  There are vets on staff and spaying and neutering is FREE to the public. They also offer boarding, training classes, a seabird rescue program, and quarantine services for animals coming from the mainland.  I've heard enthusiastic children talk about the fun Critter Camps they hold for kids in grades K thru 6. 


Malu

It's sad to recognize that not all the pets will ever be adopted, but it's good to be a part of such a wonderful organization.  Although the long term emphasis is on finding good homes for everyone, they strive daily to give each animal some individual attention. 

If only people would take advantage of the free spay and neuter programs for their pets & have microchips implanted so lost animals can be reunited with their families, we'd soon be out of business.   Even if I can't adopt 'anyone', I plan to do my part by spreading the word locally about the opportunities to adopt and  / or volunteer. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!
    My page :: adwords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha and thanks for commenting on my blog. I am currently roaming the South Pacific and am not adding posts to the Kauai blog anymore. I started a new blog related to my new adventures. If you send me your email address, I will send you the new blog info. Each comment comes to me before being published and I won't publish your info.

      Delete
  2. Hey there would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm looking to start my
    own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
    completely unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I
    had to ask!
    Feel free to surf my blog : adwords optimierung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha ~ I'm using blogspot.com. I think it's now just called blogger. I loved it 'before'. Now, I'm having a few challenges; mostly adding pics and headings to pics. I don't know if it is because they 'updated' the program or because I'm trying to blog via an iPad instead of my laptop. If you'd like more info, send me your email address as a 'comment'. I won't publish the comment w/ your address. I'll just respond to you directly. Good luck on your blogging adventures. What is the topic??

    ReplyDelete