Saturday, February 11, 2012

2/11/2012 February Fun

What a fun filled week!  It started off on Super Bowl Sunday with a two mile hike down the hill in my development with Dave, my neighbor.  The trail leads through the coffee fields to a secluded beach.  I had no idea it was even there. I understand it is only accessible through the coffee fields. Since all beaches in Hawaii are public, not private, it was OK for us to be there. Evidently, Kauai Coffee Company permits people to hike through their fields, as long as it doesn't negatively impact their harvesting season which is in the fall. 

I look forward to returning in the spring when the trees are in bloom.  I understand the scent from acres and acres of coffee trees in bloom is 'delicious'.  My friends, Margie and Genevieve, are interested in finding the trail, so we plan to go back soon. I'll take my camera along since there are no rough or dangerous patches along the way.


Dave has a very cool app on his phone.  After hiking back up the hill,  the app informed us that after 1.5 hours and 4 miles, we exerted enough energy to use up about two cookies worth of calories.  That was pretty disheartening since Dave and his wife, Rose, were hosting a Super Bowl party with lots of food that afternoon.  The Kailua Pork was delicious and I was happy to take my new favorite dish, "Confetti Quinoa".  (Let me know if you are interested in the recipe and I'll send it to you. It's something I made up when I was scrounging for a quick dish to take to the last Botanical Garden potluck lunch. It's YUMMY!)

Recently, I toured Na Aina Kai Gardens on the North Shore (http://www.naainakai.org)  with Margie and my neighbors, Dave and Rose, and their visitors from Ann Arbor. 

On Tuesday, I toured Allerton Gardens at National Tropical Botanical Gardens (NTBG) on the South Shore (http://ntbg.org/gardens/allerton.php) with Barb and Vytas. Vytas is going to send me photos from NTBG, but in the meantime below are some photos from my visit to Na Aina Kai: 
Nesting Albatross - they have a 7 foot wing span!

Crazy color stripes on this tree

Wish I could remember what it is...

Beach view from garden tram tour

The sun helped capture this extensive spider web

One of many adorable sculptures in the gardens

Anyone know what this one is? 


Kathy & Margie with The Three Bears


Velvet like seed pods

Whimsical

You lookin' at me??


Looks & feels like fur, but it's part of a seed pod

Actual book titles are on this piece

"The Artists Way"

Look closely at the title ~ "Reverse Psychology"; very clever!



Hi-ho, Margie! 

Never too old to have fun..!

 ~ True and Lasting Love ~

Where's Margie? 


Gorgeous views from the gardens

Water Sculpture

Contemplation

Curiosity
Such beautiful gardens and a fun tour. Thanks, Norm, for being an informative and patient guide. FYI ~ Na Aina Kai also offers the discounted Kamaiana rate to all guests in the booking party.

Barb, Vytas and I enjoyed a sunset dinner cruise along the Na Pali coast with Blue Dolphin Charter Tours.  We spotted so many whales that we stopped counting.  I got to see my first couple of breaching whales since I've been here; very cool!  The whales this year are plentiful and very active. It's common to see them right from the shore. I saw a few breaching from the beach where I snorkeled just the other day.  Too bad it happens so quickly I haven't been able to capture a photo yet. I'll be patient and keep trying.....

Joyful,  playful dolphins swam along side our catamaran, too.  It was such a beautiful night, with a spectacular (almost) full moon.  Vytas was our designated photographer on that tour, too, so pics will follow on another posting.  Thanks, Terry, for being our Captain!

I joined the Kauai Adventure Club for kayaking at Kapa'a Stream, hiking the Hapa Trail and snorkeling at Poipu Beach this week, too.  Links below are for slide shows of photos from each Meetup: 

http://www.meetup.com/Kauai-adventure-club/photos/5947362/92572992/

http://www.meetup.com/Kauai-adventure-club/photos/5951042/92606042/


Dancing was also on the agenda. I haven't danced in a couple of weeks, so I went to both Rob's and the monthly dance at the Church of the Pacific, in Princeville. I was happy to carpool from Lihue with a group of fellow South Shore dancers, since Princeville is on the exact opposite side of the island from where I live. Thanks, Tom, for being such a great chauffeur and providing beverages during the long ride home.   Dancing was a blast; good exercise, nice people, great music. I even attempted an Argentine Tango, or two. No one got hurt, fell down, or cried, so I considered my scary Tangos a success ;)  

After all the activity this week, I decided to stay home today to rest and reflect.  Of course, resting and reflecting is balanced with getting caught up on laundry, dusting, sweeping, mail, emails, etc.  

To keep me company, I'm listening to two gorgeous CD's from "Secret Garden". The music is so touching and beautiful it makes me cry (in a good way).  I'm appreciating all the new things I'm learning about here on Kauai.   After living in Ohio for 27 years, I definitely had certain routines and comforts.  Moving 4,600 miles away from all that was near and dear to me has caused me to open my eyes and ears to 'newness'.  It's a gift, I think, to be able to reinvent oneself and discover how much more life has to offer.  I am truly blessed and grateful for all I am experiencing. 

Oh, yes....  I read Sue Grafton's latest book, "V is for Vengeance". It was SO enjoyable.  If you've been reading her 'alphabet series' with Kinsey Milhone, I'm happy to say that, in my humble opinion, this book was even better than the last couple books.  

My other book recommendation is "Hunger Games". It's the first in a series of 3 books. All were terrific and captured my interest from page one.  Indeed, I read the first book in 24 hours. I haven't done that in years.  "Hunger Games", the movie, is due out in March. I hope they are able to do the book justice.  I'm anxiously waiting to see it..... 

BTW ~ We only have two movie theaters on Kauai and the theater in Waimea only has one screen.  It seems that all the current releases aren't shown here.  I sure hope "Hunger Games" makes it here. Otherwise, I'll have to wait to rent it from Netflix. That will be months away, I'm sure. 

I've heard from a few friends in NE Ohio that today is COLD, with lots of snow.  Stay home, stay warm!   Sip some hot chocolate for me :-)


OK, time to swap CD's, make some lunch and tackle a few of the items on my 'to do' list. 


Hugs and much Aloha, 

Kathy / Kathleen / Kate (new life, new name?) 






No comments:

Post a Comment