Sunday, February 12, 2012

Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge



Kilauea is a former sugar plantation town located on the north side of the island.  Their most popular attraction (besides the Kilauea Bakery!) is the Kilauea Lighthouse and National Wildlife Refuge, located on 203 acres.

I visit the peaceful Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge almost every time I travel to the North Shore. I live about an hour away, so I don't get to stop there very often.  If I'm lucky enough to visit early in the morning, I frequently have the place to myself. When I have guests, this is one of my top 'must see' recommendations. 

Kilauea Lighthouse 

Diane returns to Kauai
Several species of seabirds (some endangered) nest, soar high above the waves and sometimes glide close to the lookout point and unsuspecting tourists. The views from the lookout are stunningly beautiful.
 
 


Soaring above the waves
 
Besides migratory birds including Albatross, Shearwaters, Red-footed Boobies, Nene, and Frigate birds, sometimes you are also able to see humpback whales, Hawaiian monk seals and spinner dolphins.

My friend, Rodney, has a nesting pair of Albatross in his yard in Princeville.   I'm hoping to see (and photograph) their 2 week old Albatross chick before Rodney heads back to the mainland sometime in March. 

I know there are many more sights on Kauai that I haven't even visited once, but for me Kilauea Lighthouse is worth seeing every chance I get! 

No comments:

Post a Comment